Posted April 11th, 2014 by rmeyer
Dear Churchill Families,
It was certainly an exciting week at Churchill with so many families coming out last night to enjoy their students ‘hard work! As I walked around with our partners from the Schaumburg Rotary they were truly impressed with our students’ writing, technology skills, poetry, puppet performance, and artistic abilities. Sharon Perry and Jeff Winkenwerder, our Rotarian Partners, were also able to enjoy seeing the excitement in our students whose names were called to receive the stack of books they donated to our school. The building was filled with excitement and enthusiasm from both students and families!
The students also had a great time participating in our Minute-to-Win it rewards. Ask your students what challenges they might have had! They are all doing a great job following Leo’s Laws and earning those Lion’s Roar tickets.
Important message from PTA!
Our nominating committee is still looking for people interested in being elected to the 2014-15 PTA Executive Board. So far, we still have no one for President, 1st VP, and Treasurer. It’s important that we fill these positions before our election on May 13th. Without these officers in place, the PTA will not be able to operate next school year. What this means is that we will have to cancel: Hot Food, Snack Days, Free T-Shirts, Book Fairs, Family Fun Nights, Fun Fair, Market Day and more. If you would like to learn more about any of the available positions, please contact Jenn Sklena at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-490-8110.
Spring MAP Testing
We are looking forward to seeing the growth our students have made this year! The Spring MAP testing window will be April 21st – May 9th. The testing window was moved back one week due to the snow days. Please make sure your child has a good night sleep, and nutritious breakfast to help them do well on their MAP tests.
Last Day of School
The School Board approved the amended calendar with June 5th as the last day of school this year. On June 5th, the hours for students in grades 1-6 will be 8:40am-3:00pm. Because the last day of school will be a full day this year, all kindergarten and early childhood students will attend on June 5th as well.
Come ready to smile for spring pictures next Wednesday April 16th.
We need 30% of our parents to respond to the 5Essentials Survey in order to get the results. Right now we have only 3%. Please take just a few minutes to take the survey at:
Arrival and Dismissal
With the return of warmer weather, more students seem to be enjoying their walk to school. We ask that you remember the following:
· Students should arrive close to 8:25 each morning, there is not supervision outside until this time.
· Likewise there is no supervision after school and we ask that our students leave the campus once school is over.
· Thank you for continuing to help your students arrive to school in a safe way by walking to their outside lines, and using the crossing guard to cross the street.
- To insure the safety of our students, cars may not enter the driveways or parking lot between 8:20 a.m. and 8:40 a.m., nor between 3:00 p.m. and 3:10 p.m. Cars may not exit the parking lot until all children have been crossed through the parking lot, buses have departed, and barricades removed.
- Our first bell, the line up bell, rings at 8:25, our walkers are expected to be in their class lines at this time. Students are let in the building at 8:30 to get prepared to start their day, which starts at 8:40. Students arriving to school after 8:40 are considered tardy.
- When dropping children off, or picking them up, please use Knightsbridge Lane, Downing Road, Evergreen Road, or Churchill Road.
- When approaching the stop signs at Jones, Evergreen, and any other stop sign that borders school walkways, all vehicles must stop at least 20 feet in front of the crosswalk.
- Please do not use the front drive.
- Please do not bring dogs on to the school property. There are students with allergies and/or fears of animals present.
- Remember the school zone speed limit is 20 mph.
- Be courteous to residents. Please do not block their driveways.
- No Cell Phone use, even if you’re using hands-free.
Registrations forms were recently sent home to all families. It is very important that you read through your forms to ensure all of your information is current, including the numbers for your emergency contacts. You will also need to ensure that an updated lease is on file. In order to maintain your enrollment for the next school year families will need to provide an updated lease.
Have a wonderful weekend! It looks like spring has finally sprung. Let’s hope it stays awhile!
Mrs. Hopkins and Mr. Gibbs