The Churchill Pride – March 9, 2018
Good morning Churchill community,
This week has been such fun watching many students practice for this year’s variety show. We have so many talented students! We are proud of our little lions and look forward to seeing them all perform on May 15th! Be sure to save the date!
Have a great weekend!
Steve Kern, Principal
Carol Novak, Assistant Principal
Earlier this year the District 54 Board of Education approved a plan to build an addition onto our school for the 2018-19 school year. This amazing addition will result in adding 6 more classes, a new larger gymnasium, as well as a new library (Learning Commons). In order for the school to be on track for the start of the 2018-19 school year the construction company will be starting some of the construction phases prior to the end of the school year.
On March 12th the construction company will be installing protective fencing. This fencing will allow us to ensure that students, parents and staff are safely kept away from the construction site.
Specifically the construction company will be blocking off the path on the north side of the building. Additional construction fencing will be installed on the south side of the building, where the new gymnasium will be installed.
I would like to thank you in advance for your flexibility. I completely understand that the blocking off of the north path will cause us to look for new ways to get our students to school and home. Here is our tentative plan. We will evaluate the systems we are putting in place and make adjustments based on any new factors we are presented with.
In the morning
- It is preferred that we have all non-bus riding students enter through the normal doors on the playground. We will maintain a line for entry through the front door, for families in which going around to the back is a hardship.
In the afternoon
- All non-bus riding students will still be dismissed through the doors that they are typically dismissed from. Our number one dismissal goal is safety. We need to make sure that all students are safely connected with parents who are picking them up. Maintaining the dismissal systems / habits helps our students to safely dismiss from school.
To maintain the safety of all students, parents will not be able to cut through the building.
Please take a moment to talk with your children about any changes that you would like them to make, in response to the new construction. We do realize that this change is an inconvenience for several families. I thank you in advance for your support. I know that you too will be super impressed next year when you tour the new additions at Churchill!
Please understand that for the safety of all students the parking lot is completely closed from 8:25 until 8:40 in the morning, as well as from 2:55 until 3:10 in the afternoon. On Wednesdays the afternoon time is from 2:25 until 2:40. For the safety of students and parents it is critical that no cars are moving the the parking lot during these times. Please park on the street if you will need to leave prior to us reopening the parking lot.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Pickup and Dropoff at Churchill
As you know student safety is extremely important to the staff at Churchill Elementary School. Getting students safely into school and home is one of our top priorities. As you are planning your drop off please consider the following suggestions from the Hoffman Estates Police Department.
- Always remember that you may not drop off or pick up within 30 feet of a stop sign.
- When dropping off or picking up you must first pull all the way over to the curb so that you do not stop traffic.
- When traveling southbound on Jones road you may pull over to the curb, put your car in park and then let students out of the car if you are between Knightsbridge Road and the Service Road that leads to the back of the school.
- When traveling southbound on Jones Road you are also able to pull over and park in any open parking places which are directly in front of the building.
- When traveling northbound on Jones Road you may not park on the East side to drop students off.
- On Evergreen you may park on the North Side of the road in the PM only. Please remember to stay 30 feet from the stop sign.
- On Evergreen you may park on the South Side of the road in the AM or PM.
- On Ashley Road you may park on the West Side.
- As a courtesy to our neighbors, please remember to not block driveways.
Thank you for your help in ensuring the safety of all students!
Information Regarding Nationally Planned Walkouts
The school shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month has led to a number of planned student-led civic engagement efforts and protests, including school walkouts. We are currently aware of three nationwide dates for planned student walkouts.
• March 14: The Women’s March Youth Empower Walkout – Organizers are encouraging students to walk out of their schools at 10 a.m. and remain outside for 17 minutes to represent the 17 killed in Florida.
• March 24: March 4 Our Lives – This is taking place on a Saturday.
• April 20: National School Walkout – Organizers are encouraging students to walk out at 10 a.m. and not return to school that day.
We know that many of our students are aware of these protests, but we have no indication at this time that any of our students plan to participate. As was stated in the letter sent to parents in February, our priorities continue to be keeping students safe and remaining focused on teaching and learning.
With the large, peaceful protests at Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates High Schools in February, we anticipate that some younger students may be interested in following suit. We still do not encourage students leaving the school during the school day. However, we do support First Amendment rights for students and respect the students across the country who are speaking up for themselves. Should any of our students walk out, we will not be issuing consequences as long as they behave appropriately. We will also be prepared to respond with supervision to keep them safe. We will have staff members stationed in the hallways and other common areas during this time period to ensure that the students who wish to engage in this activity have the time, space and opportunity to do so, while also making sure that it does not create safety issues or disrupt the learning and instruction for those who choose not to participate.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for working with us to support our children.
Stay up to date with what is going on at Churchill!
Calendar: Churchill Calendar of Events
Website:Churchill School Website
Upcoming PTA Events and PTA Snack Day Snacks
Wednesday March 14th-5:30-8pm Spring Construction Night
Friday March 16th-Snack Day (popsicle)
Thursday March 22nd-Hot Food
Friday March 23rd-Snack Day (nachos)