#ChurchillPride – May 6, 2019
Good morning Churchill community,
It was great to see so many families participating in our Celebration of Reading and Writing event this week. Our community is what makes Churchill the amazing school that it is!
Additionally last week was a Peak Moment for so many of our Churchill students.:
- Two of our students placed in the D54 Spanish Speech Contest on Thursday. Leslie and Allyson were recognized for their accomplishments at Thursday’s Board of Education Meeting.
- Churchill’s Rube Goldberg Club, Coding Club, and GEMS Club participated in the D54 STEM Showcase. At this event students demonstrated what they have learned through our extensive clubs program.
- Our 3/4 Battle of the Books teams competed in District final competition. The previous week we also had our 1st/2nd and 5th/6th grade BOB competitions as well.
We are so proud of each of our Churchill Lions. Congratulations to each of them!
Have a wonderful week!
Steve Kern and Carol Novak
Spring MAP testing will take place from May 6- 17. As during our Fall and Winter MAP testing sessions, students will be tested in Reading and in Math.
Last Day of School
Due to the number of severe weather days when school was cancelled this year, the District 54 School Board officially set June 6, 2019 as the last day of school. This will be a half-day of school to make up for the half-day missed when school was cancelled Jan. 30. Students will be dismissed at 11:40 a.m. on June 6, 2019.
With the announcement that June 6th will be a half day, as a school we decided to change the date of our end of the year Field Day event. Field Day will now take place on Monday, June 3rd, weather permitting.
End of the year Alphabet Countdown
Our K-6th grade students are participating in an end of the year alphabet countdown. You can find the complete calendar on our school website by clicking this link.
- Monday- Dance Party Day
- Tuesday-Exercise Day – wear comfortable clothes
- Wednesday- Flashlight Reading
- Thursday- Game Day
- Friday- Hat Day
Additional Important Churchill Dates
Please click here for a complete listing of the upcoming events here at Churchill.
PTA Hot Lunch / Snack Dates
Wednesday, May 8 – 5:30pm STC Scholarship Dinner
Thursday, May 9 – Hot Food-Panda Express
Friday, May 10 – Snack Day-Ice Cream
Thursday, May 16 – Pizza
Friday, May 17 – Snack Day-Nachos
Thursday, May 23 – Hot Food-Subway
Friday, May 24 – Snack Day-Ice Cream
Friday, May 31 – Snack Day- Clean Out the Closet
Additional Hot Lunch Dates
PTA will sponsor two additional hot lunch days that students can participate in. Order forms will be sent home soon.
- Monday, June 3rd we will have Culver’s as our Hot Lunch vendor.
- Wednesday, June 5th we will have Dairy Queen as our Hot Lunch vendor.
Summer of 54
What did you do over your summer? This fall, through the “Summer of 54” camp opportunities, your answer could be: “I learned how to play lacrosse, used the design process to create and design, and/or created different forms of art using digital and non-digital mediums. The goal of the “Summer of 54” is to provide students opportunities to be active, while enhancing their creative and innovative spirit. Camp opportunities offer:
- A range of fun camps for a variety of interests for students in 1st through 8th grade
- Courses with hands-on, project-based curricula
- Instruction by District 54 teachers in a positive environment
- An opportunity to conduct experiments using tools, equipment and technology used within the real-world
Registration for the “Summer of 54” camp offerings, including a camp t-shirt. Digital registration is available within Parent Portal and can be accessed through the following link – Summer Registration