#ChurchillPride – August 18, 2019
Dear Families of Churchill,
It was great to see so many families at our Back to School Night. The energy in the school and on the playground was unbelievable. We would also like to give a special thank you to the PTA for selling concessions that night!
We can’t wait to greet the students tomorrow and hear all about their phenomenal summer vacations! This is definitely going to be the best school year yet!
Steve Kern, Principal Carol Novak, Assistant Principal
Stay up to date
Make sure that you bookmark these links so that you can stay up to date with all that is going on at Churchill!
- School Website
- School Calendar
- PTA Website
- Churchill Facebook
- Churchill Instagram
- Churchill Twitter
- Churchill PTA Facebook
First Day of School for 1st – 6th grade – August 19
Tomorrow is our first day of school for 1st – 6th grade students. When students arrive on Monday, they will line up on the blacktop at 8:30 using the line with homeroom number.
Welcome Kindergarteners! – August 26
We are excited to welcome our Kindergarteners! You can look forward to making new friends, learning new skills, and developing a love for school. The first day of school for kindergarten students is Monday, August 26.
Drop Off / Pick Up Reminders
- School supervision doesn’t begin until 8:25 a.m. We begin allowing students to enter the building at 8:30 a.m.
- School is dismissed at 3:00 p.m. daily, except on Wednesdays when students are dismissed at 2:30 p.m. for Staff Development. On Half-Day Inservice days, students are dismissed at 11:40 a.m.
- It is expected that all students will be in their classrooms by 8:40. If your son or daughter arrives at 8:40 or later, parents must come into the office and sign their child into school.
- For safety purposes, the front parking lot is for buses only from 8:20-8:40 am and 2:50-3:10 pm (M,T, Th and Fr) and from 2:20-2:40 pm on Wednesdays. If you choose to drive your child, please use one of the side streets to drop him/her off. There will be staff at the entrances to greet students every day.
Remember to call our attendance line at 847-357-6300 by 9:00am each day your student will be absent. Be sure to include your child’s name, teacher, classroom number, and reason for the absence. Students who are not called in absent will be marked as unexcused. Please make every effort to schedule vacations and medical appointments around the school calendar.
The following is our updated Lunch and Recess Schedule.
- Lunch Shift #1 (11:00 – 11:45)
- 4th Grade| Play First / Eat Second
- 5th Grade| Play First / Eat Second
- 6th Grade| Eat First / Play Second
- Lunch Shift #2 (11:45 – 12:30)
- Kindergarten| Eat First / Play Second
- 1st Grade| Eat First / Play Second
- 2nd Grade| Play First / Eat Second
- 3rd Grade| Play First / Eat Second
- Lunch Shift #1 (11:00 – 11:45)
Digital citizenship parent informational meetings
This year District 54 is going to be issuing a digital device to each of our students. Students in Kindergarten through Second Grade will have iPads issued to them for use at school. These devices will not be coming home with the children. Students in grades Third through Sixth grades will have Chromebooks issued to them which will come home with the students every night.
We are extremely excited about the learning opportunities that will exist this year with our students. We have parent informational meetings scheduled to share with you more about the devices and the expectations that accompany the devices. We hope that all parents of Kindergarten through Fifth grade can attend the meeting on Wednesday, August 21st or Thursday, August 22nd. Doors will open at 5:00 and the presentation will begin at 5:30 in the gymnasium.
Dates to Remember:
- August 19 – First day of school for 1st through 6th grade students.
- August 21 & 22 – Digital Device presentation for parents of Kindergarten through Fifth Grade students.
- August 27 – PTA Meeting
- September 2 – Labor Day No School
- September 3 – Curriculum Night for Kindergarten, First, Third, and Four grades
- September 4 – Curriculum Night for Second, Fifth, and Sixth grades
Run to Read
District 54 is hosting its annual Run to Read, which will be held on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019 at Dirksen Elementary School in Schaumburg. The day includes school mascot races at 7:30 a.m., 100-yard and 400-yard dashes for children at 8 a.m., a 5K run at 9 a.m. and a 1-mile family walk at 9:15 a.m. Although you can register at any time, even the morning of the race, you will save $5 and be guaranteed a t-shirt in the size you requested if you register by Friday August 30. The Run to Read is an awesome opportunity to promote healthy living by encouraging your children to exercise, or even better, by joining them on the walk or run. The event also supports our goal of collecting 1,000 children’s books for every classroom in District 54. To register, visit sd54.org/runtoread