#ChurchillPride – January 27, 2020
Dear Churchill Community,
We hope that everyone had a great weekend! Please read below for many Churchill updates.
Please remember that Wednesday, January 29th is a half day for our students. Dismissal is at 11:40 and the students will NOT be eating lunch at school.
Steve Kern, Principal Carol Novak, Assistant Principal
Arrival To School and Attendance
With the winter weather we are starting to see an increase in parents dropping children off in the front of the school. Please remember that the parking lot is closed until all buses have arrived and left the school parking lot. Due to snow and cold temperatures buses can at times run late, which means that the parking lot will be closed longer as well. Students not riding the bus are considered tardy to school if they walk into the building after the 8:40 a.m. bell. Students who are not riding the bus should be dropped off on one of the side streets early enough so that they can walk to the back of the school and enter the building from the playground when the doors open at 8:30 a.m. Thank you for helping to ensure that your child gets to school safely and on time!
New Kindergarten Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year:
Registration for all incoming kindergarteners for the 2020-2021 school year will be on Wednesday, February 5, 2020 from 9:00-11:00am and 5:00-7:00pm, at Churchill School. If your child turns 5 years old on or before September 1, 2020 please read below.
- Current District 54 families, with new kindergarteners, need to register through your Parent Portal account. Print the confirmation you receive and bring it to your neighborhood school on February 5th during the above listed times.
- Along with the printed confirmation, you will need to bring your student’s original birth certificate (no copies) showing the student was born on or before September 1, 2015 (This is a State of Illinois regulation).
Should you know of any families that will be new to District 54, please direct them to http://sd54.org/registration to begin the registration process and for further information on the necessary documents needed to complete the registration.
If you have registration questions, please call our office at 847-357-6300.
Student Led Conferences
- We are looking forward to seeing everyone at conferences on February 13th and 14th. All classroom teachers will be sending home a reminder with your conference date and time. It is generally the same as your fall conference day and time.
- Students will be leading out the conference so be sure to bring them with you.
- If you need to reschedule your appointment or have questions, please contact your child’s teacher.
- Our PTA will also be hosting the Book Fair in the gym on Thursday during conferences.
Save the Date Feed My Starving Children
On Tuesday, March 3rd you are invited to go to Feed My Starving Children with the Churchill community.
WHO: CHURCHILL FAMILIES & STAFF
WHEN: Tuesday March 3, 2020 – – – 6:00 pm-7:30 pm
WHERE: FMSC – 740 Wiley Farm Ct. Schaumburg, IL 60173
(NEAR: intersection of Plum Grove road & National Parkway)
WHAT: Help pack food for children around the world
HOW to SIGN UP: Link to the session sign up. Session Code: 7GX91L
As you are registering to volunteer please follow the student-to-adult ratios provided to us from FMSC.
For safety reasons, children under the age of 5 are not allowed in our packing area (Sorry, no exceptions)
Adult to child ratio:
Grades K-2: 1 student to 1 adult
Grades 3-6: 3 students to 1 adult
The Churchill PTA is looking for next year’s officers and committee members! Please consider volunteering to ensure student success at Churchill!
Severe Weather Procedures
In order to help parents better prepare for the severe cold weather and snow that we often get during winters in our community I wanted to share with you the District 54 Severe Cold Weather Response Plan. District 54 makes every effort to keep our schools open and operational, however sometimes circumstances beyond our control dictate the need to close schools. Please click on this link to read more about our District 54 Severe Weather Response Plan.
We have been seeing many students coming to school on these cold weather days without the proper attire. Please remind your child that they need to bring their winter coat, hats, and gloves every day during the winter time. We go outside for recess and want to make sure that our children are dressed for the weather. When we have snow on the ground students also need to bring snow pants and boots if they want to play in the snow.
5 Essentials Survey
Once again we are reaching out to our families and asking you to participate in the annual Illinois 5Essentials Survey to provide us with your perspective and help guide our school improvement efforts. The parent survey will be available online through Feb. 14, 2020, at https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois.
Dates to Remember:
Don’t forget that you can also stay up to date on Churchill events by subscribing to the Churchill Calendar.
- Wednesday, Jan 29th- Half Day of School and Dine Out Night
- Friday, Jan 31st: Nachos
- Wednesday, Feb 5th- Kinder Registration
- Thursday, Feb 6th- Hot Lunch and PTA Tea Party for Room Parents @ 3:15p
- Friday, Feb 7th: Snack Day – Ice Cream
- Tuesday, Feb 11th- PTA Meeting @ 6:30p
- Wednesday, Feb 12th- Birthday Book Club (Bday in Jan, Feb and March)
- Thursday, Feb 13th- Half Day of School, Teacher Conferences, Bookfair and Dine Out Night
- Friday, Feb 14th- No School and Teacher Conferences
- Monday, Feb 17th- No School
- Friday, Feb 21st- Family Fun Fair
- Friday, Feb 21st: Snack Day – Snack Pack
- Thursday, Feb 27th- Hot Lunch
- Friday, Feb 28th: Snack Day – Nachos
- Friday, Feb 28th: End of 2nd Trimester
- Tuesday, March 3rd: Feed My Starving Children
- Friday, March 6th: Snack Day – Ice Cream
- Monday, March 9th: Spring Picture Day
- Thursday, March 12th: 5th / 6th Grade Band Concert
- Friday, March 13th: Snack Day – Snack Pack
- Monday, March 16th: PTA Movie Night
- Wednesday, March 18th: 5th / 6th Grade Orchestra Concert
- Friday, March 20th: Snack Day – *Please note, there will be NO Snack Day on Friday, March 20th
- Mon – Fri, March 23-27: Spring Break (No School)
- Friday, April 3rd: Snack Day – Nachos
- Friday, April 17th: Snack Day – Ice Cream
- Friday, April 24th: Snack Day – Snack Pack
- Friday, May 1st: Snack Day – Nachos
- Friday, May 8th: Snack Day – Ice Cream
- Friday, May 15th: Snack Day – Nachos
Friday, May 22nd: Snack Day – Clean the Closet